+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Requirements on Interstate Compact

Okay I got a question and hoping to get some answers.. My financee is going to be getting released in september from fremont correctional. He is doing a Interstate Compact so he can go live in Nebraska. Now Colorado says that he needs a job prior to his release and that is a requirement that his case manager said. How can an immate look for a job let alone apply, job interview and the whole nine yards well in prison and he needs this information so they can start the paper work. I am very confused.. I can understand job leads maybe but to have a job that he can start the day he gets home is asking alittle to much. I would think they would give them at least a month or so to get settled to look for a job. If anyone can please explain some information to me so I can pass it on to him i would so appearciate it. Thank you

I'm just going to let you know that my boyfriend is going to Interstate Comp from CO to New Mexico and he does not have a job set up. His CM is in the process of submitting it right now. Maybe where your fiance wants to go, Nebraska, he doesn't have a strong enough application to IC. Like he's lacking other factors so a job would help the application look better? Just my thoughts. Why don't you call his CM and ask?

He has family down in nebraska so that makes it Mandatory. I think when his mom called the CM she missed understood them for some reason. My financee has another 22 days before they can submitt his application. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and praying that everything works out. His CM is not very good and hard to get ahold of and respond back to you. I think as long as he can show that there is jobs in the area he will be fine. I mean he has a degree in mechanics and welding. So that should not be an issue.

Veteran Member

That's not true, they are not required to have a job for IC. It's not up to the sending state anyway, it's up to Nebraska. Colorado is required to submit him, Nebraska is the one who decides to accept him. Colorado has no say in it. IC parole here can also set his supervision requirements, but if something in there isn't something that NE does, there's nothing Colorado can do about it.

Thank you fedup.. That is what I thought.. But his mom was trying to tell me different. I know that Colorado it alot different than Nebraska. But I want to thank you so much for you answer!!!

Veteran Member

No problem...I hate for people to have the wrong information...this life is hard enough already.

Veteran Member

This interstate transfer is not very complicated. It is as stated by fedup. My fiance is going to submitting for a transfer to Illinois.We have everything set up for us to be married as soon as he gets here. I have ordered our Wedding Invitations. (I will be submitting)a original document) when sending his parole support letter. He and I will marry if Illinois accepts his transfer. So prayerfully I pray the best for you and your fiance.

We are planning to get married when he gets home. But not sure if his PO can tell him he can or can't get married? Yes Fedup life is complicated enough and then having others tell you wrong information just gets me frustrated. I am so glad for this forum because i have found people like you that know this stuff. Thank you everyone for some very good information.. Fedup I am some more questions to ask but will private message them to you..

You might check with Nebraska s Interstate Compact because I know here in Oklahoma they do require a active job search be in process with at least a pre offer of employment to transfer here on IC so as was stated above it could be a Nebraska thing.. the other thing here in Oklahoma is the crime if it is drugs then they must show that they can be gainfully employed before the transfer is approved because they think they will come here and not find work fast enough and start dealing drugs to get money or some crazy stuff

My boyfriend and I were counting down the days for his CM to submit the IC because we're so anxious to see if he'll get accepted and that 120 day mark came and went on April 8th. His CM STILL hasn't finished putting it together and submitting it. Every week he says "It'll be done by Friday". So annoying. Hopefully you'll get yours done a LOT faster!

Talking

We went through the IC process for our son's transfer from CO to NC. FedUp is right on with her information. I will tell you that our son and I did all the paperwork required... copy of SSC, DL, ltrs of support, etc. Do not expect ANYTHING from the CM. The less your loved one has to interact with their CM the better off you will be. I sent J copies of the docs that he needed, SSC, DL and driving record, original ltrs of support and he gave them to his CM to copy.

I did contact the NC Interstate Compact Office early on to touch base with the State Coordinator. It was good to get some real information. I can tell you the NC State Office was very helpful and we established a good repore right off the bat. He even contacted me when he received our son's paperwork electronically and we talked about the home visit process, etc. It was 3 weeks from the time NC received the paperwork, home visit accomplished, accepted and returned to CO. He even called me to tell me our son's transfer was approved. It was a lot of work on my end and his end (at least as much as he could do). I would familiar yourself with the IC regulations which you can find on their website too. Good luck... fingers crossed... and prayers my friend!

Also... if your loved one does not have employment waiting be sure to indicate in your letter of support that the family is willing to support him financially until he does land on his feet. The biggest thing is the established family support in the receiving state.

BTW... FedUp is a saving grace to ALL of us. So good to hear that everything is going well for her and her family!
    Last edited by sk8tebrd; 04-27-2012 at 09:09 AM.

I am so thankful for fedup she has alot of good information. I know my fiancee CM is not very good. He never responds back in a timely manner. I hope that we get it done faster and his CM doesn't goof around the clock about things. We did get two job contacts and both places are interested in him for an interview. So that is a good thing. And I sent him tons of job contacts in the area where we will be living. And places that hire on for company's and after so long if that employer like his job quality they will take him on. I am just praying that nebraska is nothing like colorado and don't believe in giving a person a second chance in life. Some of the things that Colorado would restrict him on is uncalled for in my opinon. I would think that they would want them to be happy and move on with their lives.. But the laws are so messed up. Thank you all for the great information and encouragement..

Hi LittleStar... I don't think ANY other state is as bad as Colorado! Yes... CO likes to check ALL those boxes on requirements regardless. It's the money.

Hi sk8tebrd...I know when I heard all the restrictions that Colorado places on a person it makes me sick.. It is so uncalled for. I know that he made bad choices in his life but come on he is paying his time in prison. Let him move on with his life as long as he does not reoffend. I am a strong believer in foregivness and second chances. No one is perfect, we all make bad choices in life no matter if we are lawyers, judges, dr. and so on. I know that South Dakota is not near as bad as Colorado. And from my understanding Nebraska is not as bad as Colorado. I am not sure about any other state. I know that it is all about MONEY!!

He told me if they make him stay in colorado that he will never have a life because they want to control every little move he makes. That is why he doesn't want to stay there. He just wants to get his life back in order and be happy. I have know his for 18 years. We dated for approx 4 years when we was younger. We finally found each other back this year. And we told each other that we will never let each other go again. He is an amazing and incredible man. He has a very big heart. He wouldn't hurt a fly. And in all honesty he is not the one that should be paying for the crime in the first place. They person that actually did it should be doing the time. I am just frustrated and irritated with the State of Colorado on several issues.

You nailed it girl! J meets w/his NC PO on Monday... will see what happens.

When my husband is up for parole he will be paroling to NM. I have a question for everyone who has done I/C. Did any of your loved ones apply for community corrections in Colorado? I was just wondering how that would work if you were planning to do parole to another state.

Son met w/his PO here... he was very prepared for his meeting with ALL of his program certificates, GED, college transcripts, etc so all those check marks from CO are no longer. He does have some obligations obviously... but overall he was very pleased with the mtg w/his PO and the level of communication. Yea!! So folks processing your Interstate Compact... there is life outside of Colorado DOC!

Veteran Member

Nancy I believe it works the same way as it would if he was paroling here. If he's at a halfway house, he's released from there and you pick him up and drive him back to NM. There he has 24 hours from release time to meet with his PO. If he's released on ISP monitoring from the hwh, he will have to stay here until he's paroled. It just depends on what the amount of time is in between. It takes about 4 - 6 months to get out on residential ISP, that's the goal of the hwh. There are a lot of guys out on res ISP who have not been granted parole (mostly violent convictions), so they just stay here. I'm not sure if you're talking MRD or discretionary parole.

Quote Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
    When my husband is up for parole he will be paroling to NM. I have a question for everyone who has done I/C. Did any of your loved ones apply for community corrections in Colorado? I was just wondering how that would work if you were planning to do parole to another state.

I am so happy that there is life outside of Colorado.. I think Colorado goes alittle to much overboard with restrictions and all.. I sit and wonder everyday what the recieving state will place on him. We simply just want our life back and to life happy and forever. I hope that is not to much to ask for. And if the investagtors and stuff would have been doing their job correctly in colorado he would have not been put in prison in the first place. That is the part that really makes a person mad.

Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    Nancy I believe it works the same way as it would if he was paroling here. If he's at a halfway house, he's released from there and you pick him up and drive him back to NM. There he has 24 hours from release time to meet with his PO. If he's released on ISP monitoring from the hwh, he will have to stay here until he's paroled. It just depends on what the amount of time is in between. It takes about 4 - 6 months to get out on residential ISP, that's the goal of the hwh. There are a lot of guys out on res ISP who have not been granted parole (mostly violent convictions), so they just stay here. I'm not sure if you're talking MRD or discretionary parole.
    Thanks Cindy. I was talking about discretnionary parole. I just want him out of Colorado all together. He still has a couple year before he can apply to HWH but I was just wondering how things worked.

Veteran Member

No problem Nancy! I've honestly got to say that I think parole may be doing a lot of things different these days. Sean has a violent conviction for assault, yet he's already only reporting to his PO every 3 months. He's working, passing all of his U/A's and not having any issues. He just reported on Wednesday after 3 months and doesn't go back in again until August 30th. If he goes another 90 days after August then he should be eligible to be submitted for early release off of parole. We haven't even had so much as a surprise visit either. Not that he had any the last two times. I think the PO's are putting their time into supervising people who really need to be supervised; I just watch Sean's inmate locator time reduce down 10 days every month...so far so good. Hopefully he'll be off of parole by Feb 2013, that would be awesome!

Okay so here is a question.. How do they figure how much time you get on parole? so say if someone got 9 years and got out in 7 because of goodtime then do they get 2 year parole or what? That is how I though it worked.. But i may be wrong.. My fiancee got 9 years DOC and he thinks he is gettting 5 years on parole and 15 years on probation.. This just does not sound right to me...

what is interstate compact? my boyfriend is in ca and i want to find out if he can parole to ohio? do u have any info??

An interstate compact is an application that is made so an inmate can parole to a different state other than where he's incarcerated. He can only parole to immediate family though, which means wife or parents or aunt. He can't parole to a girlfriend.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle_littlestar View Post
    Okay so here is a question.. How do they figure how much time you get on parole? so say if someone got 9 years and got out in 7 because of goodtime then do they get 2 year parole or what? That is how I though it worked.. But i may be wrong.. My fiancee got 9 years DOC and he thinks he is gettting 5 years on parole and 15 years on probation.. This just does not sound right to me...
    The parole period is tied to the felony class of the conviction.

F1 - Life without Parole
    F2 - 5 years
    F3 - 5 years
    F4 - 3 years
    F5 - 2 years
    F6 - 1 year

If he's serving 9 years I would guess he has a 5 year tail but you'd need to check with the court or call Time Comp and ask them.

As for the probation period there is none unless he's serving a concurrent sentence with another offense. If he's an SO and depending on the offense, he can be supervised for an additional amount of time. Again you would need to call Time Comp and get more info from them.
    Last edited by fedup; 05-30-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Veteran Member

Interstate Compact is not too difficult and if he has family to the receiving state, it should pretty much be guarenteed that he is transferred. My daughters father was transferred thru interstate compact even though he has an escape charge and an attempted escape charge. It seems like these case managers like to make us nervous because I had Craigs case manager telling me that we needed to be married for it to happen. So I was frantic trying to get married in a prison. Thank god I didn't go thru with it lol.

oh yes the CM like to make a person nervous. It is like one thing after another. I don't see why he would have an issue get interstate compact. But i think we all know by now that that they like to mess around the bushes with things. If everything goes the way the should he should be home the beginning of Sept. And the paperwork is getting sumitted so just pray and keep fingers crossed it works out and gets approved.

Hopefully everything will go good with the submission. I know WE (son and I) did ALL the paperwork for his IC Application. The least amount of time your loved one spends with their CM the better off you'll be. Sad but true... it's a M-F 8-5 job w/a paycheck and NOTHING more.

See his CM is very horrible with everything. We got all the info for his cm to be summited. Now its the other crap they think they need to pull. Have already talked to the recieving state several times and it sounds like a go. It is just colorado that we need to deal with that is going to be the pain in the rear. He only has like 2 and half months left getting very excited for him to be home finally..

Hi Twinkle... Sounds like everything is going well. I did the same thing with NC (receiving state). They were great and very helpful. Our son is doing very well at home!!!!!! I'm praying for you guys really hard!!! Hang in there!!! Where (facility) is your loved one?

Hello sk8tebrd, I think everything is starting to get in the right track. Having some issues with the sending state. I will pm you. He is in the freemont correctional. I just can't wait for him to get out and away from all the drama colorado causes. Thank you for alll the prayers. the recieving state is working on it. okay going to PM u now

Yes of course... pm

I was just sentenced to 1 year supervised probation in Colorado for a DWAI (was a DUI Per Se reduced to DWAI). I am wanting to moce to Arizona. I have a daughter and three grandkids there. I am going to live with a family friend of 16 yrs. I do go to the probation Department until July 25th to do an alcohol evaluation. After August first I will have no place to live here n Colorado. What can I do to speed up this process? What am I going to need to provide to start the interstate compact. Is there anything i can have that will aid in getting AZ to accept me?
    Thank you

If you have already been assigned a PO you definitely need to meet with him or her as soon as you can. They should be able to help you in the process. Colorado has a very slow process so hopefully you'll be able to stay with friends here or there while in Colorado still. Good luck to you... stay away from alcohol!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by msphilly433 View Post
    I was just sentenced to 1 year supervised probation in Colorado for a DWAI (was a DUI Per Se reduced to DWAI). I am wanting to moce to Arizona. I have a daughter and three grandkids there. I am going to live with a family friend of 16 yrs. I do go to the probation Department until July 25th to do an alcohol evaluation. After August first I will have no place to live here n Colorado. What can I do to speed up this process? What am I going to need to provide to start the interstate compact. Is there anything i can have that will aid in getting AZ to accept me?
    Thank you
    I have had the experience that Probation will not interstate compact people out of state. You will have to get with your Probation Officer sooner rather than later. Please realize that Probation and Parole are two different departments and have nothing to do with each other. Probation is Division of Public Safety and Parole is Department of Corrections.

If they do interstate compact, there's no way it will be done by August 1st. You will end up in a homeless shelter so probation can track your whereabouts.
    Last edited by fedup; 07-14-2012 at 12:09 AM.

If you don't mind me asking, has he been release to NM yet?? How long did it take for NM to approve?? My hubby is trying to come to NM from TX, and TX is taking their sweet a** time, I'm hoping NM doesn't take the full 45 days. THanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by jessitlv View Post
    I'm just going to let you know that my boyfriend is going to Interstate Comp from CO to New Mexico and he does not have a job set up. His CM is in the process of submitting it right now. Maybe where your fiance wants to go, Nebraska, he doesn't have a strong enough application to IC. Like he's lacking other factors so a job would help the application look better? Just my thoughts. Why don't you call his CM and ask?

Quote Originally Posted by marlaenajo View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, has he been release to NM yet?? How long did it take for NM to approve?? My hubby is trying to come to NM from TX, and TX is taking their sweet a** time, I'm hoping NM doesn't take the full 45 days. THanks in advance!
    Hi Marla, I'm from NM too and my Husband is in CO.

My questions to those on this thread (Cindy, I'm sure you know the answer), how does I/C work? Do you go before the parole board first and once approved apply for I/C or vise versa? My husband still has some time but as soon as he is eligible, Im hoping to get him the hell out of Colorado.

Veteran Member

Hey Nancy...no the IC paperwork is submitted by his CM to IC with Adult Parole. They have their own little department with Parole. They submit the paperwork to the receiving state, the receiving state accepts or rejects him. If he's accepted then the Parole Board here is informed that his parole plan is out of state (if it's discretionary parole). If he's rejected then he has to have a parole plan approved as a backup here. The Parole Board can approve him for parole "pending" his parole plan being approved.

MY loves IC was Approved.. 24 days and he will be home.. Yay so excited..

Veteran Member

That is awesome!!!! COngrats

MY loves IC was Approved.. 24 days and he will be home.. Yay so excited..
    Love is not only for the good times but also for the bad.

Mrs. Rivera

Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    Hey Nancy...no the IC paperwork is submitted by his CM to IC with Adult Parole. They have their own little department with Parole. They submit the paperwork to the receiving state, the receiving state accepts or rejects him. If he's accepted then the Parole Board here is informed that his parole plan is out of state (if it's discretionary parole). If he's rejected then he has to have a parole plan approved as a backup here. The Parole Board can approve him for parole "pending" his parole plan being approved.
    Thankd Cindy, I knew you would know the answer! :-)

I see you said your sending your wedding invitations with you loved ones packet.for the interstate transfer will they take that bc my hunnie and I are getting married when he gets out bc he's trying to do a transfer to nj from ny

Quote Originally Posted by earthangel903 View Post
    This interstate transfer is not very complicated. It is as stated by fedup. My fiance is going to submitting for a transfer to Illinois.We have everything set up for us to be married as soon as he gets here. I have ordered our Wedding Invitations. (I will be submitting)a original document) when sending his parole support letter. He and I will marry if Illinois accepts his transfer. So prayerfully I pray the best for you and your fiance.

My hunnie & I are getting married soon as he gets out he's trying to do a state transfer will the wedding invites be ok to add in his parole packet?

I am so thankful for fedup she has alot of good information. I know my fiancee CM is not very good. He never responds back in a timely manner. I hope that we get it done faster and his CM doesn't goof around the clock about things. We did get two job contacts and both places are interested in him for an interview. So that is a good thing. And I sent him tons of job contacts in the area where we will be living. And places that hire on for company's and after so long if that employer like his job quality they will take him on. I am just praying that nebraska is nothing like colorado and don't believe in giving a person a second chance in life. Some of the things that Colorado would restrict him on is uncalled for in my opinon. I would think that they would want them to be happy and move on with their lives.. But the laws are so messed up. Thank you all for the great information and encouragement..

How was you able to get your loved one a job before release bc I'm in that boat right now for my fianc

Veteran Member

Newnew every state is different on IC. You might want to try the forums for your state.

Question

I am really pleased to have found this forum. I am trying to get a grip on what I need to do to start the interstate transfer for my ex husband ( we are on good terms) who is incarcerated in Texas to be permitted to parole in Colorado.

What paperwork do I need to put together? A few posters recommended doing it yourself and sending copies to his CM? What do I need to do? I apologize if I sound so clueless but I am in fact clueless. I'm just beginning to research this and realize it will be a discretionary request as I am not a family member and he has no family members in Colorado nor children with me. I am willing to support him financially as I know finding a job for anyone let alone a newly released man is very difficult these days.

But I also noticed a few posters comment on restrictions to put on parolees in Colorado. I've never heard of Colorado being a bad idea to parole too, can you give me some examples as to how its different then other states? I imagine Texas isn't to easy on a parolee either :{?

Is this something I have any ability to start myself or do I have to go through his CM whom I am not sure he even knows yet. It'll be about 6 months at least until he's up for parole so I have time but I know everything legal takes a while. Any help would be so helpful--I'm very lost and what I've learned so far seems that the chances of approval are very grim :{
    Last edited by bf85; 11-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Veteran Member

You would need to contact his CM in Texas for the information. Texas would be the one to submit the IC packet at your husband's request. The receiving state is the one who makes the decision, it's up to Colorado to accept him.

I have two adult sons in prison. One is in Iowa and the other is in Colorado. Both have very long sentences. I live in Missouri, but would love to move to Colorado, as soon as I can sell my house. I don't really want to move to Iowa. I would like to have both my sons in the same state, so I don't have to drive two days to be able to visit them.

My questions are these:

1. Will states do interstate transfers for those still in prison with long sentences?
    2. Will the receiving state honor the sentence given by the courts in the sending state? Or, would the receiving state reconstruct a sentence based on their own laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Honestwitness View Post
    I have two adult sons in prison. One is in Iowa and the other is in Colorado. Both have very long sentences. I live in Missouri, but would love to move to Colorado, as soon as I can sell my house. I don't really want to move to Iowa. I would like to have both my sons in the same state, so I don't have to drive two days to be able to visit them.

My questions are these:

1. Will states do interstate transfers for those still in prison with long sentences?
    2. Will the receiving state honor the sentence given by the courts in the sending state? Or, would the receiving state reconstruct a sentence based on their own laws?
    From what I have found, there has to be an interstate compact agreement between Co and Iowa. Your son in Iowa would have to contact his case manager and request a transfer. In the past (not sure if this still pertains), your son could be transferred to CO when a CO inmate requests to be transferred to Iowa (prisoner swap). Iowa would still have jurisdiction over your son, he would have to follow CO DOC rules as well. The inmate/family would have to incur the cost of moving him to Colorado which could be quite costly. He wouldn't be resentenced by CO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information