+ Reply to Thread

Default Discharge question

I was just wondering what a sentence discharge is? What does it mean?
    Sharon

Veteran Member

The discharge is when their sentence is completed and their mandatory parole period is completed. It's the day they're fully discharged from the system to my knowledge. My guy had a 2 1/2 year sentence followed by 2 years of mandatory parole....sentenced in 2005 and discharges in 2010
    I can never give my man my heart because he is my heart

Disclaimer: Any advice given is my own personal opinion and I am not liable for your subsequent actions. It's your life and your choice.

So does that mean that he wont have a PO to report to anymore?
    Sharon

Veteran Member

If we're thinking of the same discharge date then ya. The best answer I got when I asked about the difference between a MRD and ESD is that the mandatory release date is the date that they have to be released from prison. Once their sentence is done and they're in their mandatory parole period then the Estimated discharge date is the day they are free and clear of the system. No more parole officer, nothing. But don't forget that the mandatory parole does not take effect untill the sentence itself has been completed even if they're out on early release.

Disclaimer: Any advice given is my own personal opinion and I am not liable for your subsequent actions. It's your life and your choice.

Thank you Justice.. I did think it was weird that someone would be on parole until their MRD and then the mandatory parole would start. My hubby may make parole in Jan and his MRD isn't until 2017, then he would have parole until 2022?! LOL Thanks for clarifying. Maybe Mamalion didn't realize that is how it read..

Veteran Member

Justice that's what I've been reading every where on the mandatory parole period and why there's such a push to have it removed. In colorado when they are released on parole during their sentence it's considered early release and mandatory parole does not start until the actual sentence is done. If the mandatory parole began the moment they were paroled then my honey would have been fully disharched last year.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics2005...b?OpenDocument
    It is rare for an inmate to be paroled on his or her PED. The PED is to be distinguished from the mandatory parole date (MRD) which comes after an inmate has served his or her entire sentence.

Veteran Member

Justice no please, do sound itchy. That's how it was explained to me and if it's wrong then I would definately like to be corrected. They've already screwed with his parole and violated the governing parole laws. We had trouble getting that fixed. If his mandatory parole was supposed to start when he was initially paroled early then he should have been released already. All I know is that they told me his mandatory parole period did not start until his sentence was completed even if he was on early release. That means he doesn't discharge from the system till next year. However if you're right and it was supposed to start when he was paroled initially then he should have discharged 6 months ago. I'll definately check out that AR. If you have any others I should look at, please to tell me.

Thanks everyone you have been helpful
    Sharon

Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll check it out cause he was sentenced in 2005 on 2 seperate charges totalling 3 1/2 hears followed by a 2 year probation and his discharge date shows in 2010. He was paroled in 2006 (though he has absconded a couple times). We'll definately have to check with time/release cause his case managers and parole officers have told us something totally different to what you're saying. According to them, his mandatory parole period did not start untill both his sentences were completed in 2008.

Veteran Member

Justice, thank you. Apparently the case manager and parole officer explained it wrong! Jeezus! Is there any part of my guy's parole they haven't messed up? I emailed time/release as you suggested and here's the reply I got:

The mandatory parole period begins when an offender is released to parole. At that point, the incarceration portion of the sentence is complete, in most cases.

Veteran Member

Thanks so much. I sent him their reply as well as told him to read that AR you told me about. I've no idea how they're figuring all this but I sure hope he gets it cleared up. He's been arguing with them for about 5 months or more to get his UA's fixed and it took him 4 months just to get them to drop that year of parole off that shouldn't have even been there. It's driving me up a wall! He's back inside now on a technical violation which I partly blame on his PO because he tried several times to reach his PO when there were issues and didn't get any reply. I am so sick of the so called justice system.

Veteran Member

Would they even give me a copy of his time comp since we're not married? He did have a copy of his time comp when he was in 4mile, that's how he found out that they had added 2 parole sentences together in violation of the governing parole rule. But as I said, his case managers and PO had told him his mandatory parole didn't start till his sentence was completed even if out on parole. I think I'll pm you so I can give you more specifics as I'm getting really confused now as to how they're figuring his time and obviously they're giving us false information.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootbabe View Post
    I was just wondering what a sentence discharge is? What does it mean?
    Est. Sentence Discharge Date:
    Estimated date of institutional discharge. A subsequent mandatory parole period may still be required, as governed by statute.

This I founfd on the Colorado DOC site.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information