+ Reply to Thread
    Veteran Member

Question Helpful info for visits

I was just thinkin, I spoke to a friend earlier this evening about wheter or not they use coins or the card at Buena Vista, she told me a card.
    Do you ladies think it would be helpful to have a sticky in the CDOC forum that would have this information on it???
    Maybe there is one already and I just have not found it??? Does anyone know?
    NO PAROLE. We go again in October of 2012 :'(

darlin_angel

Ok not sure what you mean by sticky , I would think like colorado state pen or any dodc they don't allow any money in with the inmates would all be the same rule . If you find out that would be cool .

At CMRC they only accept quarters. It just depends on the facility. At SCF they have the vending card. I am actually not sure which are using just the card? I think that would be a great thing to have a sticky and post all the facilities and what their vending system is like. Good idea.

Veteran Member

Hi Angel and Slim's Girl,
    Angel, I am talking about when you go for a visit at the facility, the vending machines and what they use. Some facilities you use quarters and some facilities you get a card and load money on it. Like Slim's Girl said at RMRC they only use quarters, she knows that because she goes there to visit and at SCF (Sterling) they use the card and she probably knows that because her SO was there before SCF.
    Now I KNOW because I went there that BCCF (Bent County) only uses quarters. Now my husband is in BVCC (Buena Vista) and I know they have the card there.
    By sticky I mean it would become a permanant post above the regualr posts "with a sticky" for everyone to access instead of asking all the time and waiting for someone to answer us while we prepare to visit a new facility.
    Angel I think you were referring to what the inmates use while in the prison itself and not visiting and I would say yes it is the same at all facilities.
    Well since you think it's a good idea SG I am going to contact Texas Dust to see if she can compile a list seeing how we already have 4 facilities taken care of that is almost a fourth of the list done for her. She would know about her facility and I hope others post here. THANKS!!!

I'm so glad you gals are here. This is something else I did not know. Because I haven't ever visited a prison before I didn't realize that we could buy things from the vending machine when we are there visiting. I think I'm on over load right now. To much to take in. LOL So do they let us buy something for our so or do they have to just sit there and watch everyone enjoy there treat? OK, so can you guess my next question? Does anyone know what Limon uses? Thanks

Skyline and the womens in canon are both cards
    STILL LOVE HIM AND WOULD NEVER WISH ANYTHING BAD FOR HIM BUT HE IS JUST A USER AND i AM NOT DOWN OR THAT SO i WILL SURVIVE WITHOUT ALL THE GAMES HE PLAYS

Veteran Member

Awwww wenj, you will get it!! Remember I have 20 years into this!!!
    I do not know what Limon uses today, like I said my Limon stint was towards the beginning. So I will try to find out what they use.
    Also, yes you can take 20.00 into the visit with you, whether on the card or in quarters. YES you get to buy them food, cuz the visit is usually over their lunch hour so they would have to skip the meal other wise. They have soda, and food stuff like burritos, hamburgers, hot wings, chips, candy bars, You know stuff you would find in a cafeteria at a workplace. You have to take quarters in a plastic bag, it can have a normal zipper but most people take in a ziploc bag. If you use a ziplock change it at least once a month you don't want it wearing out and your change going all over the place LOL
    You can only take your drivers license (or passport, or ID or whatever) and one SINGLE key into the visiting room. Only a wedding band and a cross neckless.
    OK do you have any more questions?

Cougar thank you so much for that information, I will pass it along if this gets posted permanantly THANKS
    Last edited by DBs Lady; 04-08-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Veteran Member

I believe that Arrowhead and the other minimum camps also use quarters like CMRC as did a couple of the private prisons.

Crowley and AVCF and BVCF use the orange vending cards. Territorial uses the blue vending cards. Each facility is responsible for the contract for vending services so there are two different cards. The orange cards can be refunded by a company on South Tejon St. in Denver. The other ones have to mailed to Limon for a refund. The vending machines at BVCF tend to erase the cards so they're unusable there, then you end up having to take them to the vendor in Denver to get a refund on them.

darlin_angel

Angel I think you were referring to what the inmates use while in the prison itself and not visiting and I would say yes it is the same at all facilities.

Yes you are correct , sorry sometimes what I put on here doesn't make sense . Thanks for the clarification . at Csp they don't have the vending machines with them and we can't take much in there . SO i'm writing all this down in hopes that he will / wait we will have contact by september . THanks for all the info on here .

Veteran Member

OK Just read another post that FOUR MILE uses a vending card, good to know!!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    The other ones have to mailed to Limon for a refund. The vending machines at BVCF tend to erase the cards so they're unusable there, then you end up having to take them to the vendor in Denver to get a refund on them.
    Fedup, are you saying that if you get a card, it is going to be unsuable anyway? Or what does that mean, cuz I would think you can put your money on the card and just keep it if there is money left on it right? Then you can use it next time you go up? And if it is erased then what are they going to refund?? I am scared now cuz I go this weekend!!! HOPEFULLY

Veteran Member

If you don't use the cards right in the machines, they will erase the money on the card. Then you have to take the card to the company in Denver. They can get the money off for you but it's a royal PITA especially if you erase the card when you first get there because you can't go back out to more money.

Veteran Member

Default Buena Vista CC

OK I got to go see DB as you can tell by my siggy, but it was a very good learning experience I had to share for those who don't know! UGH!!

VITALLY IMPORTANT: Take a $1.00 bill if you don't have a vending card!!! Because the machine only sees a bill no matter if you put in a 1 or a $20! Learned this the HARD WAY! But if you mess up you can tell CO Cook and he will tell the vending card guy when he comes to restock at about 11:30.

At the vending machine,
    VITALLY IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU INSERT YOUR CARD WITH THE ARROWS POINTING THE DIRECTION!!!! Or you will wipe off your card, as in NO MONEY for food!!!! Found this out, but NOT the hard way

Also
    VITALLY IMPORTANT LET YOUR CARD STOP MOVING COMPLETELY!!!! If you don't, you will wipe out any remaining money on the card LEARNED THIS ThE HARD WAY I had $12 and some change but again CO Cook to the rescue and he told the vending machine guy!!

Vending machine guy on Sunday ROCKS cuz not only did I get the initial $20 instead of $19 and the additional $12 that I wipe off, he gave me an extra dollar!! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE so DB did starve LOL

So THANK GOD I didn't loose $19 bucks nor did I have to go to Denver to get a refund on the card I wiped out so I was stokked!!

COs are very laid back, they don't walk by and screwtenize (sp?) your every move which was great!!!! the tables are narrow so we can sit closer together than at Bent County, and the room for families is separate from the adults which was nice I thought. Also and I was surprised, you get to go to the bathroom anytime you want to! Was use to Bent where you could only go twice and when they said and you had the pat down after the RR break, BVCC does not do that.

I hope this is helpful info for the next BVCC newbie!! I was so nervous too as I hadn't got to see or touch DB for 3 months and I was dying!!! Was a great visit!!!

OH ONE LAST THING, they told me open toed shoes were fine, and they are if they have a strap over the heal. They didn't tell me however that you had to have a strap or backs on your shoes regardless of if they are open toed or not. I wore clog type shoes and I had to go to the dollar store and get some slippers!!!! UGH oh well I was comfortable at least!!!! So PLEASE call your facility and ask them specific information about shoes so you won't go through what so many others have in buying shoes you did't want to. LOL one of the COs even said "you might want to keep those in your car, just in case!" LOL

The vending cards are white not any other color.

Limon has a vending card. It takes a single dollar to release the card the first time. The card is reusable and you can put up to $100 on it.

Veteran Member

Default Buena Vista Correctional Facility

OK updated info for BVCF:

New vending machines: Use a $5.00 to release your card the first time $2 is credited to the card and you can get the $3 back upon surrender of the card, card is reloadable as it was before. Card deposit limit: $60.00. Machine seems to accept any dimension although I had an issue with a $20 bill last weeks and the operator helped me out and I found out you can insert the bill any way in the machine, it doesn't have to face a certain way. Things are good, but they took out the ice cream machine
    I was stokked to find there are no moving parts on the vending machine, so you don't have to wait for the card to stop moving or risk loosing your money.

We were reprimanded for open mouth kissing??!!??!! Yes you read that right, they do not allow open mouth kissing at BVCF so be aware. Also I seen a visit terminated because a little girl got out of hand and dropped a game on the floor, so keep controll of the kids if you are going to visit!

Hope this helps others out!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBs Lady View Post
    OK updated info for BVCF:

New vending machines: Use a $5.00 to release your card the first time $2 is credited to the card and you can get the $3 back upon surrender of the card, card is reloadable as it was before. Card deposit limit: $60.00. Machine seems to accept any dimension although I had an issue with a $20 bill last weeks and the operator helped me out and I found out you can insert the bill any way in the machine, it doesn't have to face a certain way. Things are good, but they took out the ice cream machine
    I was stokked to find there are no moving parts on the vending machine, so you don't have to wait for the card to stop moving or risk loosing your money.

We were reprimanded for open mouth kissing??!!??!! Yes you read that right, they do not allow open mouth kissing at BVCF so be aware. Also I seen a visit terminated because a little girl got out of hand and dropped a game on the floor, so keep controll of the kids if you are going to visit!

Hope this helps others out!
    Grand...so the freaking vending company gets to keep $3 in profit on top of the high *** money they charge for the crap they sell...that really sucks. I knew about the open mouth no no kissing rule...chaste kisses are the only thing allowed.

Thank you for the info on BVCF. I am going there this weekend and I have never visited a prison before. This is all new and very overwhelming. My husband and I had thought he would be going back to SCF as he had been there before for most of his sentence. It was quite a surprise when they took him to BVCF.

Veteran Member

I miss visiting at AVCF only because they had Ben&Jerry's ice cream...we spent many a weekend eating Chunky Monkey ice cream...yum!

They just increased the price of Ben & Jerry's at AVCF to $6.50! That is crazy. They started putting in Bryers and the price for that is $4.50 (still high!). They still have Chunky Monkey and Cherrie Garcia though! :0)

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by nancyginnm View Post
    They just increased the price of Ben & Jerry's at AVCF to $6.50! That is crazy. They started putting in Bryers and the price for that is $4.50 (still high!). They still have Chunky Monkey and Cherrie Garcia though! :0)
    Thanks Nancy (it's me Cindy from the other forum)... you brat!

they use the card you cant take change in

darlin_angel

Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    I miss visiting at AVCF only because they had Ben&Jerry's ice cream...we spent many a weekend eating Chunky Monkey ice cream...yum!
    Ok I'm sitting here and you are making me hungry but dang that is alot .

Quote Originally Posted by DBs Lady View Post
    Hi Angel and Slim's Girl,
    Angel, I am talking about when you go for a visit at the facility, the vending machines and what they use. Some facilities you use quarters and some facilities you get a card and load money on it. Like Slim's Girl said at RMRC they only use quarters, she knows that because she goes there to visit and at SCF (Sterling) they use the card and she probably knows that because her SO was there before SCF.
    Now I KNOW because I went there that BCCF (Bent County) only uses quarters. Now my husband is in BVCC (Buena Vista) and I know they have the card there.
    By sticky I mean it would become a permanant post above the regualr posts "with a sticky" for everyone to access instead of asking all the time and waiting for someone to answer us while we prepare to visit a new facility.
    Well since you think it's a good idea SG I am going to contact Texas Dust to see if she can compile a list seeing how we already have 4 facilities taken care of that is almost a fourth of the list done for her. She would know about her facility and I hope others post here. THANKS!!!
    A little off subject, but do you know anything about getting pictures taken at Buena Vista this Saturday? Can we pay for it or does it come out of his account?

They took pictures last Saturday when I was there. The cost of the pictures comes out of the inmates account. It is 1.50 per picture.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevinzmom View Post
    A little off subject, but do you know anything about getting pictures taken at Buena Vista this Saturday? Can we pay for it or does it come out of his account?
    And I might add, they suck!! They print them on cheap *** photo paper LOL!! Quality is not good at all and they only give you one print for $1.50.

They take them on Saturdays IF recreation has enough staff to send over there to do it. Pictures are usually taken at about 2:00 so if you have to leave early you won't get a chance to get the picture taken.

Hope that helps!

Denver Women's on Havana uses Vending Card only. You can only take the Vending Card and the Locker Key in with you (+wedding ring). Each visit you can reload your card in the lobby. I usually put $30 on mine when I get there while waiting for clearance to go in, then I have plenty to buy my inmate as much as she wants. We can buy our inmate anything in the vending machines and, as stated before, the food is sandwiches, burritos, popcorn, chips, candy, soda, water, and so on, stuff they sometimes can't get inside. We are free to go to the machines anytime throughout the day, but the inmate may not leave her assigned chair except for scheduled bathroom breaks.

I think only privates use quarters, but its a good question. I'd call PIO Katherine Sanguinetto at HQ 719-579-9580 and ask that the website reflect that on each prison site under visiting. As you know, every prison has its own quirks that none of the others would dream up.....in fact, they should list the stupid rules for each prison-that should keep the poor webmaster busy and maybe cause him to quit. :-)

What about fremont I have a vending card from when my husband was in Buena Vista now he is in fremont..

Thank you DB's lady for posting this, I am going to visit my man at Bent this coming friday and I didn't know what to take or how to take it. THANK YOU!!!
    Kristy

I am going to BVCC my first time tomorrow after 3 years at Limon. Thanks for the information.

Question: Do they have lockers for purses, wallets, keys, etc?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information