+ Reply to Thread

Talking Mentoring Program for Children with Incarcerated Parents

Hello everyone -

I work for a non-profit org in Detroit, MI and I am looking for children who have parents in prison. Since 80% of inmates have children, I am assuming you would know some (maybe even be the primary caregiver for these children). We have a mentoring program and set the children up with a qualified mentor. The results are AMAZING - but I won't bore anyone with statistics. Long story short, if anyone has a child that could benefit from having a mentor, or if anyone is interested in Mentoring, PLEASE let me know. Or feel free to contact me to get more information.

FYI - this is completly free. The only qualification is that the child have an incarcerated parent or caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by biggyfats View Post
    Hello everyone -

I work for a non-profit org in Detroit, MI and I am looking for children who have parents in prison. Since 80% of inmates have children, I am assuming you would know some (maybe even be the primary caregiver for these children). We have a mentoring program and set the children up with a qualified mentor. The results are AMAZING - but I won't bore anyone with statistics. Long story short, if anyone has a child that could benefit from having a mentor, or if anyone is interested in Mentoring, PLEASE let me know. Or feel free to contact me to get more information.

FYI - this is completly free. The only qualification is that the child have an incarcerated parent or caregiver.
    I am the mother of three beautiful daughters whose father is incarcerated and has been for the past 7 yrs. I think I've grown over the years because of this and my daughters are stong youn women because of this. I would love to help mentor some other young people who need a little more help with coping with this. I love kids and helping them be all they can be.

I live in N Mi, is there any programs up here that you know of??

hi i live in ohio if there are any programs like this here. i have an almost 6 year old daughter. thanks
    kellie

Veteran Member

Thats a beautiful thing biggyfats. I do not have children and neither does my bu, but I'm sure alot of the women here that r in your area will certainly appreciate what u r doing. Where would donations be sent to help your organization? xoxoxoxo
    The 1 & Only Lady Slugga!!!!

Are there any programs in Florida? My granddaughters really could use a third party person who would compassionately listen to their feelings and help them to cope with their loss of their Dad to prison for 5 years. This is something that would probably have to wait until the girls came to see me for summer vacation and the three of us could participate. My son's children are 9 and 10 and are already having some abandonment issues,they want to live with me (Grammy)and just want their Daddy back! So any program that is offered to help my granddaughters vent about their dad's incarceration is always a major PLUS to me!!

That sounds like a wonderful thing you're doing. I'm currently mentoring for the MPRI program in Michigan, and it is very self rewarding. Please let me know if there is anything like your program in the tri-city areas (MI). If not, please let me know how I can start one of my own. Thanks.
    Join my social group: Serving 5, 10, 15, 20+ Years!! What Do I Do??

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mzmocha37 View Post
    I am the mother of three beautiful daughters whose father is incarcerated and has been for the past 7 yrs. I think I've grown over the years because of this and my daughters are stong youn women because of this. I would love to help mentor some other young people who need a little more help with coping with this. I love kids and helping them be all they can be.
    I willl love to give support to a child or children who are going through the same thing as our own children are enduring, still today. PM me any info and I do look forward to speaking to you! ''Rockyj''

Quote Originally Posted by KellieArgyle View Post
    hi i live in ohio if there are any programs like this here. i have an almost 6 year old daughter. thanks
    kellie
    There was one. I had one set up in each state with 30-60 children in each state. I recieved funding from the local churches and used funding I already had. All of them ended up shutting down due to lack of volunteers we had even set up training programs and had a qualified teacher. We still could not get volunteers. A lot of the children still lived with their natural mothers so we started asking the mothers to help. Still nothing. So it shut down. If we had the volunteers they would actually be running even in Ohio.
    No, we don't keep Koala's as pets, we don't ride Kangaroos to school and there is no such thing as drop bears. We do love our barbies and beer so if you ever come down under have a drink on me.

Mentoring saves lives. If you live in central florida. Contact the Micah mentoring program. 1414 w.main st, leesburg fl 34748. (352)360-0081. Michah mentors children who have a parent or parents who are incarcerated.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie girl View Post
    There was one. I had one set up in each state with 30-60 children in each state. I recieved funding from the local churches and used funding I already had. All of them ended up shutting down due to lack of volunteers we had even set up training programs and had a qualified teacher. We still could not get volunteers. A lot of the children still lived with their natural mothers so we started asking the mothers to help. Still nothing. So it shut down. If we had the volunteers they would actually be running even in Ohio.
    Sometime back I read the facinating story of Ann Edenfield and how she kept her family together during her husband's incarceration. She began Wings Ministry for families whose father/mother are in prison. Although it's mostly in the states in the southwest, it's growing. I don't have small children so I didn't get involved. You can check out the website http://www.wingsministry.org

My daughter is on her way to be 6 months and her father is incarcerated and it is very hard on me without him being in her life and i dont want her to be another statistic...if the father is incarcerated then the daughter will get pregnant at an early age...

Miya Woods

Hi i'm new here on jpay and my son is having a really hard time with his father being away. where can i find info on mentoring for children here in texas?
    SuzieT

Yes please my son is in prison he has a set of twin,s 7 year old one boy one girl they are in michigan please call me 734-444-4440 mrs plair

Default Lost in Orlando

Hi there! I have two adorable wonderful little boys. We have a tremendous family support system, but it's never the same, because daddy is not around. I'm very adamant about seeking counseling or therapy services for them because ether are so young and their lives have changed so quickly this past year, I have been searching for pediatric counseling but the only one available works privately and doesn't accept our insurance. So I'm turning to a faith based or even any non,profit organization that maybe able to help us. Does anyone know of any programs or organizations other than angel tree willing to help mentor my boys with the absent father in prison? Thank you in advance
    TC&GB (I'm Hoping I deciphered correctly and that stands for take care and God bless)

MizV

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information